Integrating CMMI and Agile Development: Case Studies and Proven Techniques for Faster Performance Improvement
Paul E. McMahon
- Publisher: Addison-Wesley Professional
- ISBN: 9780321714107
- Type: Book
- Description: This book offers a start-to-finish blueprint for melding the CMMI and Agile process improvement methodologies. It presents six detailed case studies, along with essential real-world lessons, big-picture insights, and mistakes to avoid.
Many organizations that have improved process maturity through Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI) now also want greater agility. Conversely, many organizations that are succeeding with Agile methods now want the benefits of more mature processes. The solution is to integrate CMMI and Agile. This book offers a start-to-finish blueprint for melding these process improvement methodologies. It presents six detailed case studies, along with essential real-world lessons, big-picture insights, and mistakes to avoid.
Drawing on decades of process improvement experience, author Paul McMahon explains how combining an Agile approach with the CMMI process improvement framework is the fastest, most effective way to achieve your business objectives. He offers practical, proven techniques for CMMI and Agile integration, including new ways to extend Agile into system engineering and project management and optimizing performance by focusing on your organization’s unique, culture-related weaknesses.
Integrating CMMI and Agile Development is divided into five parts.
- Part One begins with concise primers and refreshers on both CMMI and Agile, explaining why they are far more compatible than many practitioners realize.
- Part Two introduces specific, proven techniques to help CMMI "process-mature" organizations increase their agility.
- Part Three demonstrates how successful Agile organizations can increase their CMMI process maturity without compromising the agility that has brought them success.
- Part Four shows how the CMMI can help organizations that are attempting to be agile, but are missing key ingredients of true agility.
- Part Five introduces exclusive CMMI/Agile-based techniques for achieving substantial performance gains by focusing on the "personal" side of process improvement.